Client: Community College of Allegheny County
Project Name: Workforce Development & Training Center
Project Timeline: March 2018 – June 2023
Construction Amount: $25 million
Services Provided: Construction Management Services
This new 3-story, 60,000 SF building is being constructed on CCAC’s Allegheny Campus located on the Northside. The building is designed to meet the highest LEED accreditation standards possible and includes spaces to allow CCAC to offer state-of-the-art programs to address the workforce issues that face us today but spaces that are flexible enough to accommodate training programs that will be needed in the future. These program spaces include but are not limited to culinary arts, innovation labs, makerspaces, information technology and cyber security as well as mechatronics and process technology.
SB Thomas was engaged to provide advisory construction management services on this project beginning with the conceptual design phase and our services are continuing through construction close out. SB Thomas also provided advisory assistance to CCAC during the construction to relocate existing utilities including voice/data line, electrical, water, and steam/chilled water so that these existing facilities were not impacted by construction of the new building. Following is a list of services being provided by SB Thomas on this project:
• Participation in design and owner update meetings
• Constructability reviews at each design phase
• Value engineering, detailed reviews of cost estimates, completion of design development comparative cost estimate
• Site logistics planning and construction phasing
• Assistance with bid package preparation as well as bidding and award
• Construction phase services including daily on-site staffing, daily reporting, multiple prime contractor coordination, schedule review and monitoring, change order management, conducting job meetings, documentation control, close out assistance, and more.