Client: Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS)
Project Name: Construction Management Services –
Renovation of Phillip Murray School (K-8)
Dates: Jan 2016 – Jul 2016
Team Members: SB Thomas & Assoc. +
Construction Amount: $13 Million
Services Provided: Construction Management Services
In November 2015, the Pittsburgh Public Schools awarded SB Thomas & Associates, Inc. and its Joint Venture Partner (JC Pierce) a contract to provide construction management services on its Phillip Murray School Renovation project. Construction on this $10.4 million renovation project began in early January 2016, involves five (5) prime contractors (each with 12+ trades-people on-site everyday), and must be completed in time for the start of the school year in August 2016. The renovation work on this project includes complete interior renovation (new ceilings, floors, paint, doors), new addition, revised classroom layouts, ADA upgrades, new HVAC, electrical and plumbing upgrades, LED lighting, new white TPO roof, and other green design concepts.
Under this contract, SB Thomas & Associates is providing a full complement of construction management services:
- Preparation of the construction cost estimate.
- Coordination with design architect and Owner.
- Preparation of the construction schedule with input from the prime contractors
- Coordination of multiple prime contractors.
- Conducting pre-construction and weekly job progress and coordination meetings.
- Daily QA/QC inspections.
- Track submittals and RFI.
- Review and approve monthly payment requests.
- Evaluate change order requests.
- Punch list inspections & contract close outs.
- Preparation of monthly reports.
As the project nears the half-way point, the work is currently ahead of schedule, there are very few change orders, a minimal amount of RFI, and the five prime contractors are coordinating extremely well. All of which is a direct reflection of superior construction management.